Friday, October 9, 2009

The Fair is in the Air . . .


Ah . . . there is nothing like fair week – right?! I don’t know about you but I always look forward to the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of the Dixie Classic Fair. This event always gives me the excuse to eat a bunch of things that I shouldn’t. Did you try the Fried Butter????????


Enough about food . . . now onto this week at TJMS. I started this week off by going, with the Surfers team, to the Career Center. Again, the 8th graders were very polite and courteous. Thanks to Kathy MacDonald for arranging these trips for our students. And a shout out to Gail Frank for her back seat driving. I would have never made it back and forth without you!

Tuesday was a day spend at Central Office at a Joint Principal's meeting. Many items were discussed from United Way (Kelly Hall will kick it off on Monday), accountability, EVAAS composites, finance update ("if things were not good this year just wait til next"), and PLCs. The nice thing about PLCs is that we have been doing them since I've been here (just called them subject area meetings). There were be a few modifications but there will be some training to come.

Wednesday was a day for me to get into many classrooms (8th grade teachers this week:) I will highlight two teachers this week. First of all, Deborah Cummings. I did a formal observation in one of her classes. She had a wonderful class about texture. The students were interested and participating throughout the class. Her activities involved finding different texture surfaces in the class. A cool one was the bottom of a shoe! The other teacher is Martin Patrick. Sometimes, Health/Physical Education teachers get a "bad rap". Just know Martin knows his stuff! He was discussing/demonstrating to his students about rescue breathing. If I ever need CPR, call Martin . . . just no mouth to mouth.

Thursday was a day of joy for everyone with the magazine fundraiser kickoff. Thanks to Peggy for organizing everything (as usual) and thanks to all teachers for getting in on time. I think the assembly flowed very well. Thanks for doing your part to help this to be successful. Especially Daniel Bryant, Elaine Hartle, Kelly Hall, Matt Fossa, Charles Jones, Robin Moon, Mark Schnably, Mark Mercer, and Brent Atkinson for being such good sports! I hope you recognized what I will do if goals are met.

I do want to put a special word out to Amy Peverall, Sheila Schmidt, and Christy Daniel for their efforts in the cheerleading tryouts. They put much effort into the process/selection of being fair. Over 70 girls tried out and 23 made the team. Thanks to LaJoi Wilson-Moore and Benika Thompson for helping to judge. Also, speaking of sports . . . Congratulations to Dave Jenkins and Jeremy Shearer with the boys soccer team. They continue to be undefeated with a record of 8-0. They have to huge games this week - Wednesday at Meadowlark and Thursday at Mount Tabor vs Wiley. Promote for your students to come out and support - you are welcome to come also! You might be surprised how much seeing a teacher after school means to students. And . . . a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Leigh Walters and the 10 students that made State Honors Chorus!!! They will be recognized at the NC Middle School Honors Concert at the Stevens Center on November 8th at 1:30.

Now back to food and the fair . . . I didn't get to try the Fried Butter (couldn't find the vendor even though I did look). I did sample some french fries, roasted corn, pizza, Fried Oreos, and Fried Three Musketeers. Notice I said sampled and not ate the entire portion. I do have to say the Fried Oreos was tasty:) Guess I will have to wait on the Fried Butter . . . next year? But there will be something new . . . what else can they think to fry?

Have some fun and get some rest.


Go Patriots!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers