Friday, October 2, 2009

October 2, 2009--Time passes quicker the older you get


Another thing that amazes me is TIME (or specifically - the lack of time). It seems that I open my eyes on Monday morning then it is suddenly Friday afternoon . . . the weekend is always a BLUR! I remember (as a child) many of the "adults" saying that time passes quicker the older you get . . . well, I absolutely agree with those statements. We do so many good things during the week and now that it is Friday I can't remember them all. I will do a better job of documenting (hopefully next week). So with that said, let me tell you a few things that I saw (or heard about) this week.

Seems like I can get into many classrooms on Mondays . . . this week I had 7th grade to conduct Classroom Walk Throughs (CWTs). You guys are pretty smart and have figured out that we - administrators (Wilson-Moore, Dickey, and Thompson) divide grade levels each week (including encore) and conduct CWTs. So next week what grade do I have??? 7th grade teachers are so creative/energetic! From Emma Couch having bungee jumping Barbee dolls, Matt Fossa putting students on the spot with his higher order thinking questions, Jeremy Shearer's students literally jumping out of their seats to participate in a classroom discussion, Meredith Ebert's relentless efforts to involve all students in classroom activities, and Amy Kennedy's constant patience/leadership during a facinating science class while her "technology" was NOT acting nice! I conducted two formal observations this week with Dave Jenkins and Christy Daniel (lucky folks!). Dave and Ellen Weston showed a true example of co-teaching. It was very evident they plan together so both teachers can provide personalized instruction to their students - super! Christy Daniel's lesson was excellent. Students were busily working on a room design project. They seemed to enjoy the environment of the classroom while making examples of line and color. Christy showed much confidence as a 2nd year teacher - she is always positive and supportive of her students!

On Tuesday, I chauffered the MPods and Kim Pickell, in a big white limo, to the Career Center . . . well, I drove the activity bus and didn't hit anything (this time!) All students were well mannered and asked great questions. I can tell the 8th graders are getting ready for high schoool. That evening, I attended the school board meeting and accepted awards for TJMS academic success from last year (The community knows that Jefferson Middle continues to be the best Middle School!).

Wednesday was picture day :) I'm sure you all took beautiful pictures. I'm looking forward to seeing John Garwood's picture - his hair seemed a little "fluffy". Thanks for organizing the picture schedule - Peggy!! This is a necessary evil :) That afternoon Brent Atkinson was recognized with all the Teacher's of the Year at a nice reception at the Old Salem Visitor's Center. Brent is truly a wonderful representative of our All Star staff!

John Downs conducted excellent technology workshops on Thursday. Thanks to John for this effort and his day to day support to ALL of us! You are certainly a "Big Guy" in this school. Thanks to Peggy (again) for organizing the BWW night. My teriyaki wings were very tasty:) It was nice to see our staff/community getting together after hours.

Today, I was put on the "hot seat" by my boss, Carol Montague-Davis, visiting me. I have to do just like you - complete a self-assessment and develop my PDP. I guess our meeting went okay - she didn't ask for my keys :)

Other mentionables . . . Barbara Strange - organizing and implementing a "book talk" with several staff involved. Your kids were excited and well prepared! Kerry Browne is a real trooper - I was told she was instumental in the Tdap process. Cindy Booth evidently has received "interesting" e-mails but has said she will not respond . . . you will have to ask her about this! And the initiation of your newbie - Mark Mercer. Mark has this new ride that you need to check out. I think others may be a little jealous and have done some "not so nice" things to this ride. As perky Miss Gena Loflin said, so well to Mark ,as he was searching for his ride, "Welcome to Jefferson!"

Speaking of time . . . your weekend may be gone by the time you finish this but it is fun and therapy for me to "reflect". Ten years ago today, my youngest (Stuart - Stu Poo) was born . . . time does pass very quickly especially the older you get.

Enjoy your weekend ... get some rest!

Go Patriots!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers